Register   FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Profile   Log in to check your private messages   Log in
Social Networks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:23 am Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

Gunhead wrote:
Don't forget antisocial networks like *chans and Chatroullette. They're the driving force in cyberculture.

I could never find any worthwhile conversation on *chans. Though I suppose seeking that on the Internet may be asking for much...

Tech illiterate, slowly learning, please excuse.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 am Reply with quote  
Engineer

WireWulf wrote:
Gunhead wrote:
Don't forget antisocial networks like *chans and Chatroullette. They're the driving force in cyberculture.

I could never find any worthwhile conversation on *chans. Though I suppose seeking that on the Internet may be asking for much...

You're on the wrong *chans. 99chan just added a cyberpunk board.

the USA is to meatspace as 4chan is to cyberspace

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote  
Enigma's Little Pet

I shall investigate!

Tech illiterate, slowly learning, please excuse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 am Reply with quote  
More Machine Than Man

perhaps THIS is the thread for examples.

SO onto my whole argy bargy (that is more than opinion, i swear!) about social media leading us into social decay. I'm of the stance that without proper quality control, misinformation will become so rife that other aspects of our communications will suffer. We've already seen instances of where social media sites have lead to violent rebellion and uprising, so it's not so far fetched to foresee a doomsday scenario in your own backyard being controlled by misinformation.

Political opinion and the promotion thereof can easily sway someone ignorant of relevant facts, and this is dangerous, especially when the reach of that promotion is worldwide. Using misinformation for political gain isn't new, it's been around in media for a long time. However, most forms of media are regulated, and must abide by the rules in order to ensure that the information being processed and sent around is of a balanced and ethical nature. To print something factually incorrect and inciteful is a very serious offence. But a law is only as good as it can be enforced. Media outlets that require to operate under governments are easily enforced, as to break the rules not only lessens their competitive edge if they are found out, but also can cause lost revenue and infringement notices. Social media, on the other hand, is an area of free voice, whereby any person may voice their own opinion and have it broadcast to a mass of other voiced persons.

To the view of freedom of information, this is a great way to spread the truth. the lack of impeding forces means anyone can say anything they like. the problem however is the side effect of this, whereby anything means anything. A friend of mine works for a social media marketing company, and he was tasked with helping promote a brand name cordial's shift to a half size bottle with double the concentrate formula, via social media websites. He found that during his promotion, there was a stir amongst the public. Trending reports of the new formula having twice as much sugar and harmful chemicals that are detrimental to your health were spreading around social media networks. This was a twisted truth, yes there was a high concentrate, but it was to coincide with the fact the packaging was smaller, and the instructions were to use less in the solution, in other words, the new package contained exactly the same amount of chemicals as the old package did, you just had to use it differently. Of course by the time it came to his desk, there was already a political movement against the company, formulated on a facebook event page, several hundred concerned citizens were planning a protest, and some had written letters to the government to investigate the issue. A trail leading through the political posts lead back to a single blog article, whereby the author was allegedly a health expert. Investigation into the owner of the blog found it was in fact a hoax. the name of the author was an alias, and the owner of the website was actually a rival company selling "healthy" drinks, which contained several high sugar content beverages. So here we have a prime example, where social media was used to spread misinformation for coporate gain, there was no oversight committee, no quality control, only the "reasoned" opinions of ignorant masses.

But it doesn't stop there, more famously was this debacle.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-01-06/autism-vaccine-study-an-elaborate-fraud/1896798
Basically word was spread about vaccines causing children injuries, and how vaccination was just a form of government/corporate control. A report from pre 2000 was found that "proved" there was a link between a type of vaccination and autistic children. the social media networks went wild with it, facebook groups were threatening huge action and boycotting the innoculation programs at schools. of course it wasn't long before it was found out that the report was falsified, and the doctor responsible was co-erced into writing it. But despite that finding, the impact of the initial concerns were so strong that there are still many people who believe the report to be true. (as far as google tells me, most of these people operate angelfire webspace). Again, it shows how the public can be manipulated by this new tool, feeding on misinformation and fueled by ignorance. It won't be long until facebook users chase frankenstein's monster into the windmill and burn him to death.

rawr more text ranting

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Cyberpunk Review Forum Index » Akihabara
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jump to: